In 1561 Robert Pursglove, retired clergyman and the last Prior of Gisborough Priory, founded a free grammar school and almshouses in Guisborough called the Jesus Hospital (also called Guisborough Hospital). This organisation was tasked with provideding free tuition in Latin to the sons of local farmers and tradesmen, and accommodation, clothing, food and a small stipend to twelve destitute elderly residents of Cleveland.
The hospital lasted until the 1880s, when it was reconstituted into Guisborough Grammar School. The almshouses were closed, and a new school building was commissioned from Alfred Waterhouse, architect of the Natural History Museum in London.
Guisborough Grammar School thrived, growing exponentially from one generation to the next, until the 1970s saw another big change. In 1971, the grammar school became Prior Pursglove College, a co-educational sixth form college. Female students were admitted to the sixth form for the first time, and the last fifth form graduated in 1974.
Browse this section to learn more about the 450 year history of Prior Pursglove College and our 800 year old archive.
Click on the headers below to access each section.
You can also go to the Archives, Photo galleries and People sections (accessed by the black menu bar above) to view our photographs and documents, and learn more about the long history of education and philanthropy in Guisborough.