• Welcome to the Prior Pursglove College Archive Website ... read more
  • Football photographs!... read more
  • New photo galleries: sports and more!... read more
  • The School Museum – An Exciting Discovery... read more
  • School's War Honours Board - Now Available... read more
  • The School Museum - now available... read more
  • More Sports Photos Added... read more
  • The Sports Pavilion... read more
  • Guisborian Magazines available... read more
  • VE Day Commemoration... read more
  • de Brus Symposium - March 2016... read more

Guisborough Hospital

A detail from a black and white photograph showing a small child in a hat with a toy wheelbarrow, in front of a row of housesThe Hospital of Jesus in Gisburne, also called Guisborough Hospital, was founded in 1561 by Robert Pursglove, the last prior of Gisborough Priory.

The hospital was composed of a free grammar school for boys, and a set of almshouses for twelve destitute poor, six men and six women.

The almshouses closed in the 1880s, when the hospital was reconstituted into Guisborough Grammar School. Two photographs survive from this bygone time, and you can view them both in the gallery below.

Our partners

DTW powered by Acteon